B.S. Brigham Young University (1999), M.S. Brigham Young University (2001), Ph.D. Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati 2004), Post-Doctoral Fellow Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Division, University of Utah Health Sciences Center (2004-2006).
Research in my lab centers on the effects of particulate matter exposure (environmental and tobacco based) during pulmonary morphogenesis and in instances of acute lung injury. Mechanisms activated during such occurrences are also correlated with tumorigenesis. We also focus on the most superior aspects of the pulmonary system, areas associated with the oral cavity and the laryngeal zone. Oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) encompasses up to 90% of all oral cancers and affects more than 400,000 individuals annually. It is one of the most prevalent cancers in developing countries and poor prognoses and recurrence rates of up to 50% are particularly problematic. The relationship between inflammation and invasive OSCC cells requires careful analysis in the context of tobacco smoke, e-cigarettes, and other environmental factors during the induction of invasion and metastasis.
Peer-Reviewed Publications, Undergraduate co-authors are underlined
- Tsai KYF, Hirschi Budge KM, Lepre AP, Rhees MS, Ajdaharian J, Geiler J, Epperson DG, Astle KJ, Winden DR, Arroyo JA and Reynolds PR. 2020. Cell invasion, RAGE expression and inflammation in oral squamous cell carcinoma (CSCC) cells exposed to e-cigarette flavoring. J Oral Path Med, DOI:10.1002/cre2.314.
- Tsai KYF, Hirschi KM, Llavina S ,Davis T, Long M, Bennett A, Sitton B, Arroyo JA, and Reynolds PR. RAGE and AXL expression following secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure in mice. 2019. Exp Lung Res, 45:9-10, 297-309. DOI: 10.1080/01902148.2019.1684596
- Hirschi KM, Tsai KYF, Edwards MM, Hall P, Mejia JF, Reynolds PR, and Arroyo JA. 2019. The mTOR family of proteins and the regulation of trophoblast invasion by Gas6. J Cell Signal 4:2, DOI: 10.4172/2576-1471.1000203.
- Hirschi KM, Chapman S, Hall P, Ostergar A, Winden DR, Reynolds PR, and Arroyo JA. Gas6 induces invasion and reduces inflammatory cytokines in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. J Oral Pathol Med. 2018 Jun 1. doi: 10.1111/jop.12738.
- Lewis JB, Bodine JS, Gassman JR, Munoz SA, Milner DC, Dunaway DM, Egbert KM, Monson TD, Broberg DS, Arroyo JA, and Reynolds PR. 2018. Transgenic up-regulation of Claudin-6 decreases fine diesel particulate matter (DPM)-induced pulmonary inflammation. Environ Sci Pollut Res, 25(18): 18179-88.
- Lewis JB, Jimenez FR, Merrell BJ, Kimbler B, Arroyo JA, and Reynolds PR. 2018. The expression profile of Claudin family members in the developing mouse lung and expression alterations resulting from exposure to secondhand smoke (SHS). Exp Lung Res, 2018 Feb;44(1):13-24.
- Chapman S, Mick M, Hall P, Mejia C, Sue S, Wase BA, Nguyen MA, Whisenant EC, Wilcox SH, Winden DR, Reynolds PR, and Arroyo JA. 2018. Cigarette smoke extract induces oral squamous cell carcinoma cell invasion in a receptor for advanced glycation end-product-dependent manner. Eur J Oral Sci, 2018 Feb;126(1):33-40.
- Kumar V, Fleming T, Terjung S, Gorzelanny C, Gebhardt C, Agrawal R, Mall MA, Ranzinger J, Zeier M, Madhusudhan T, Ranjan S, Iserman B, Liesz A, Deshpande D, Häring HU, Biswas SK, Reynolds PR, Hammes HP, Peperkok R, Angel P, Herzig S and Nawroth PP. 2017. Homeostatic nuclear RAGE-ATM interaction is essential for efficient DNA repair. Nuc Acid Res, 2017 Aug 9. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkx705.
- Lewis JB, Hirschi KM, Arroyo JA, Bikman BT, Kooyman DT, and Reynolds PR. 2017. Plausible roles for RAGE in conditions exacerbated by direct and indirect (secondhand) smoke exposure. Int J Mol Sci. 18(3):652; doi:10.3390/ijms18030652.
- Sanders NT, Dutson DJ, Durrant JW, Lewis JB, Wilcox SH, Winden DR, Arroyo JA, Bikman BT, and Reynolds PR. 2017. Cigarette Smoke Extract (CSE) Induces RAGE-Mediated Inflammation in the Ca-9-22 Gingival Carcinoma Epithelial Cell Line. Archives of Oral Biology 80:95-100.